Thursday, January 8, 2015

If You Have to Make a Wise Choice

Much of life consists of making wise decisions.

I'm simply amazed at how many decisions I must make as I grow older. I continue to seek the "ancient paths" of God's wisdom. God's word tells us that "He will instruct [us] in the way [we] should choose" (Psalm 25:12), and again in Psalm 32:8, we read, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you."

I remember how God does this, which is primarily through the wisdom of scripture and the counsel of wise people in my life. I have also learned to think through these kinds of questions as I read the Bible and spend time in prayer:

1. Which choice most blesses my husband and family (as opposed to damaging them?)
2. Which choice draws me closer to Jesus and what He is doing in the world?
3. Which choice gives my heart the most peace?
4. Which choice seems aligned with how God has been developing me all along?
5. Which choice most maximizes the gifts, talents, and resources God has given me?
6. Which choice brings the most spirit-filled joy to my heart?
7. Which choice fills me with hope and freedom?
8. Which choice do I fill uniquely capable of doing?
9. Which choice connects me more deeply with community?
10. Which choice leads me into godliness as (opposed to temptation?)

I meditate on Isaiah 48: 17-18 where we read this: "This is what the Lord says--your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: 'I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you and directs you in the way you should go. If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your well-being like the waves of the sea'."

Making wise choices is hard work, and I pray daily for wisdom and insight that come from our most loving and attentive God.

1 comment:

allison said...

I am trying this for the New Year, but find it very hard! Having assumed the worst, and have judge others for so many years, it is a tough habit to unlearn. Sometimes I find myself on auto-pilot, thinking mean, 'judgey' thoughts so quickly, it's scary. Trying to replace that thought as soon as I think it with a prayer, Praying we both are able to do this more and more each day.