Friday, March 14, 2014

I Don't Like Manicures One Bit

Sometimes when I speak before large audiences, especially in the south, I think, "I should really get a manicure. I should really do my nails."

I grew up with a mother who had a fresh manicure every week. She was actually a hand model in her younger years. A hand model! I come from beautiful hand genes!

But I simply detest having nail polish on my nails. I keep them short, unpolished, and boring. Too long, and they make annoying clicking sounds on the keyboard when I write. Too bright and shiny, and I have no choice but to start picking at them.

So no manicure for me.

I realize that my lack of nail polish represents something of a signature style. It's a little act of differentiation, uniqueness, and personal preference that asserts my individuality. This is a good thing. I remember this when one daughter wants to wear the same leggings and t-shirt every single day or when the other daughter needs a little clutter to feel comfortable in her room.

Allowing--indeed celebrating--difference is part of motherhood, friendship, and personal growth.

When God knit me together, He knew I'd dislike nail polish even though I come from great nail genes. I'm OK with this, finally.

______________________
What's something that gives you your signature style that's totally different from your mom?

No comments: