Thursday, November 15, 2012

Wait! Where?

This morning, my oldest daughter cries out to her sister, "I'll race you!"

"OK!" the youngest one says, and they're off! Suddenly, she stops and demands, "Wait! Where are we going, anyway?" She has her hands on her hips and her head cocked to one side.

I'm washing breakfast dishes, and I think of the day's schedule--the weight of demands, the crush of deadlines, the too-much-to-do of it all--and I stop and question: "Wait! Where am I going, anyway?"

I'm racing after. . .  What? Who? Why? 

It's the same feeling I had when someone told me about all the new technology I was supposed to use in my classroom. We were all in such a rush to adopt every new gadget and technique. We were racing to be the most sophisticated, and then it struck me that we had all the "how" and none of the "why" or "where are we going, anyway."

I'm stopping for a moment and reconsidering the rush of the day.  I don't need to run every race. I don't need to be in such a hurry. I need to pause and ask, "Where are we going, anyway?"

____________________________
Do you ever rush about and think you just need to stop?

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I love this. A lot.
I'm going to ask myself that question all day today.