Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Analyzing Media: What's Missing from a Report (Did Jesus Have a Wife?)

This week, as we teach media analysis--in particular, bias--I wonder about every piece of news I read. I find myself so curious when reading reports about Jesus's alleged wife.

Something's missing, and it makes me so frustrated. I want context. I want to know what question Jesus was asked before he answered "my wife."

Here's why: Do you remember when the disciples asked Jesus in John 4 if someone had brought him food? He responds, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work."

So of course, I'm wondering if someone said, "Jesus, do you have a wife?" To which he might respond in similar fashion, "My wife. . . " (essentially debunking the idea that he was thinking about a wife at all--like the food).

That's all. I just want to know the context. I want to know the whole conversation.

I tell my students to get the larger story. What comes before and after the quote?

Context matters. It might just change everything.

_______________________________________
What do you think?

1 comment:

Sarah Root said...

Great point. Thanks for sharing.