Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It Returns

My youngest comes to find me early this morning to report the terrible news:

The tomato hornworms have returned.

Tomato Hornworm
These pests destroy my tomato plants, and they are so hard to find that it's nearly impossible to remove them. They blend in so well.

Tomato Hornworm
Every summer, I think the same thought: these hornworms will return, so I have to train my eyes to find them. Otherwise, the harvest is lost.  It reminds me so much of sin in the heart. Evil doesn't come obviously. It never has. Temptation always looks like something right and good at first. I have to train myself to see it for what it is.

And once I rid myself of it, it returns as surely as the hornworm. 

"It's just like sin," I tell my daughter. "Does that make sense?"

"Not really," she says.

I'll try again later. We're training ourselves to see clearly.

______________________________________
Can you believe how huge these pests are? They ate the whole side of one tomato plant!

2 comments:

Kristin S said...

My mom grew tomatoes when I was growing up. I've never seen anything like that in my life.  GROSS! 

Yes, like sin.  Blends right in... sneaky.

Barbara Thayer said...

What a great lesson through this worm!  Sin destroys just as much as this pest in your garden.  Amazing too the disguise this worm wears....just like sin.  We have to be on our guard.  Great post today Heather!