Thursday, July 19, 2012

Harvard Research Study Encourages Community Exercise: We're Walking, We're Walking

This morning I read the new Harvard research report about the dangers of inactivity. It's clear: we all need to move more. But what excites me about the report is the praise of community exercise initiatives. Walking to school as a neighborhood, neighborhood fitness nights, and other community interventions actually work.

The work best, the study concludes.

I find myself so motivated for another year of walking a mile to school--and back again--and then again in the afternoon. It takes time, but when the neighbors do it together, it's so fun.

Just the other day, I walked with my neighbor. I'm not sure I would have done it alone. The social aspects of exercise really do motivate me. I'm beginning to think it's the only way I'll move.

Living with flair means we walk together.

___________________________________
Do you have more ideas for community movement?

No comments: