Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Where and the What Matter Less and Less

I finish a paragraph by Margaret Silf and realize how much I believe it. She writes, "There is nothing on earth that doesn't reveal some fragment of the reality of its maker, nor any moment that I live that doesn't hold God concealed within it. Sometimes this is obvious, as in a beautiful sunset. Sometimes it remains hidden." 

Every moment that I live, therefore, holds God concealed.

Here and now! It doesn't matter where I am or what's happening all around me. I can be assured that God is with me and in even this.

Sometimes, it does indeed remain hidden.

But if I seek, I will find. If I ask, the great door will be opened.

In even this.  

I'm starting to consider this task as my life's work; the poetry of finding the concealed fragment that reveals God offers the kind of joy and meaning I cannot live without. 

The older I get, the more I realize that the where and the what of my life matter less and less. The reality of God in and about me makes every place sacred, every person a mystery, and every situation ripe with glory. 


Have you found this to be true? 


Risa said...


Italian Mama said...

This realization is one of the great joys of the middle ages for me;  you are a bit precocious. ; )