Sunday, April 29, 2012

In God Alone

This morning, I remember a great truth--the Greatest Truth--that sets everything right. 

In Psalm 62 King David writes, "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him.  He alone is my rock and salvation; He is my fortress, and I will never be shaken." 

When it comes right down to it, all my coping mechanisms and all the wonderful things in my life (family, community, beauty, writing) do not provide true rest for the soul.  Even when everything's in place and I'm doing all the right things for mental health, God reminds me that the rest I need comes from Him alone.  He alone is my rock and my salvation.  Not even family.  Not even amazing community.  Not even beauty that points to His glory.  These things reflect and remind.  But they aren't Him. 

My soul finds rest in God alone. 

I pour coffee, sit in the morning sun, and read the ancient words.  I cry out to the one who alone gives rest. 

______________________________
Do you keep coming back to this Great Truth again and again? 

1 comment:

Markssong.wordpress.com said...

I can relate. You can read my similar thoughts at my Wordpress site.
http://markssong.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=497&action=edit    or try  markssong.wordpress.com/my soul finds restThanks and blessings, Mark