Thursday, March 1, 2012

When You Can't Find What You're Looking For

I'm in the woods where the deer roam, but instead of shed antlers, I stumble upon trametes versicolor

It's a special kind of mushroom.

Trametes versicolor © Live with Flair

With all this gloomy rain, the forest floor erupts with various mushrooms and lichens. In China and Japan, scientists believe that a protein within this mushroom contains amazing immunity boosting agents including cancer treatment.

I've never before in my life ever written or spoken the words trametes versicolor.  What other things grow up in the mucky moisture of these woods that can heal things?

I see no shed antlers, but it doesn't matter.  As I turn to walk home before the rain comes, I see the brightest yellow lichen.  I learn that scientists study lichen (since they have no roots and instead absorb nutrients from the air) to measure air pollutants, ozone depletion, and even metal contamination. 

Yellow Lichen
It's a glorious world that can teach so very much.  When I can't find what I'm looking for, I remember to sink deep into what's around me.

I learn and marvel.

___________________________
What marvelous thing did you find today?

2 comments:

Pepe B said...

You're so right: It's a glorious world! I took a great photo of the lake near our home, an d I found an old schoolfriend, I haven't heard of for years – she lives "just around my corner"!!!

Live with Flair said...

How fun!  Finding old friends --how wonderful!