Saturday, March 3, 2012

Steamed Chinese Dumplings

Yesterday, we return home from a voyage because the little one has a fever and stomach pains.  With nothing planned for dinner and an empty refrigerator, the oldest one devises a plan for interesting and fun.

And we sure need some interesting fun to make up for a disappointing Spring Break.  

As the sick one sleeps, my oldest and I remember how much we all love Steamed Chinese Dumplings.  I haven't made them in two years.

For my dumplings, I just mix some ground chicken and whatever flavors I want:  cilantro, green onions, ginger, chopped peanuts, hot sauce, and salt.  I add one egg to the mix. 

Then, I drop one teaspoon or so into the middle of a wonton wrapper:

I seal the edges with my wet fingers:

I put them in the steaming basket over boiling water (lid on!) for seven minutes: 

And there you go:  interesting, fun, and delicious.  We serve the dumplings with plum sauce. 

Sometimes, you just have to make Steamed Chinese Dumplings when your plans change.  

What do you put in your steamed dumplings? 


Eiggam said...

It's my mother's recipe which contains ground pork, shitake, water chestnuts and napa cabbage (along with various spices and condiments); then I allow to marinate overnight. I only make jiaozi once a year though, on Chinese New Year! Yours look just as delicious, and probably less time consuming than my mother's recipe demands :)

Amy @ themessymiddle said...

We've got a great saying in China to go with your change in plans: Ji hua mei you, bian hua kuai! (plans can't keep up with changes!). Making dumplings/jiaozi is a great way to rescue a disappointing day.

Live with Flair said...

 I love that, Amy!  That's a great saying.