Friday, March 9, 2012

May You Flourish

Last night, my dear friend uses the verb flourish, and I just can't get the word out of my mind.  It shimmers.  It resonates with my heart.  Etymologically, the word means to "flower" and also to "brandish" (like a weapon).  When something flourishes, it blossoms, thrives, and prospers.  But to flourish also suggests a strength, a fighting stance, and a powerful position. 

All morning, I consider this word.  Then, I turn to the Psalms, and of course (isn't it always this way?) I spy a verse of scripture that uses this wonderful word.  I read this: 

May the LORD cause you to flourish,
   both you and your children.
May you be blessed by the LORD,
   the Maker of heaven and earth.

Yes.  I want to flourish--both me and my children, both you and your children, all of us--today.  I entrust myself again to the One who blesses and the One who causes us to flourish.

____________________________
May you truly flourish today in all of your endeavors!  

8 comments:

Roberta Beach said...

Flourish makes me think of abundance and, with your definitions,  Warrior Pose. Wonderful word - perfect Psalm context.

I'm in the middle of adopting a dog to a new home; this dog has been with me since 2008. Farrah has flourished - from a physically beaten dog who would only let me pet her head to a foster home where she jumps into the car (miracle!) to go places to now, perhaps, a home of her own with a dog friend and human parents. Farrah left her sad past behind and, given the opportunity and her space, chose to flourish in a new world.

Patricia W Hunter said...

One of my favorites words - and so perfect for spring.  May you, too, flourish in every way, beautiful friend.

Bradley J. Moore said...

Yes, flourishing is good. So very good. And even better to think that God wants that for us, too!

Patricia W Hunter said...

Just had to come back and tell you - I was preparing my Sunday post and looking for a verse to go with a photo of cedar branches and I found the perfect one: Psalm 92:12 (ESV) " The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon."  =)

Live with Flair said...

 Cool!  Flourish is the word of the weekend!

Sue Tell said...

Curious, did you see my latest post? A tribute to my friend who recently met Jesus face to face. I titled it "A Flourishing Finish". I love Phil 1:6 in The Message.  :)

Live with Flair said...

 How wonderful, Sue! I haven't seen the post yet, but I just love that title! 

Live with Flair said...

 What an adorable dog!!!!