Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Living Worry Free

This week, I read in Jeremiah 17: "This is what the Lord says, 'Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord.  He will be like a bush in the wastelands; he will not see prosperity when it comes.'"

Prosperity would be there, but that person would miss it, unable to perceive it?

That's been me!   

As I thought about that last phrase, I recalled all the times I could "not see prosperity" even when it was right in front of my face.  These times, not surprisingly, corresponded to how far my heart was from God.  In those times, nothing seems good enough.  I want more, better, new, and different.  Give me a new house, a new wardrobe, a new car, a new life!  Give me more! 

But when I'm trusting in God, suddenly I see all the prosperity about me.  I can get overwhelmed by all the good things in my life. 

And not one circumstance had changed.  

Something about staying connected to Jesus puts a corrective lens over my eyes. 

After these words from the Lord, Jeremiah continues by saying, "But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.  He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.  It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

That's the kind of living I want.  Worry free.  Bearing fruit.  No Fear. 


As if showing me an actual picture of it, I see this tree by the stream today.  This is the kind of living I want.

____________________________________
Have you been able to see prosperity sometimes, and sometimes do you feel blinded?

2 comments:

Arabah said...

Blessed by this passage today, Heather! Thanks for sharing.

Markssong.wordpress.com said...

For me, it's more like prosperity is blind to me - it just can't seem to find me.   HEY!   I'M  OVER HEEERRRE!!