Sunday, February 19, 2012

When I Searched for Just One Beautiful Thing

We leave the house to walk and search for something beautiful. 

"Tell me when you see it," I say, camera in hand.  My oldest says it's good I have her along; children see better, hear better, and feel better than adults.

"It's because we are closer to things.  We are shorter and smaller and listen naturally." 

"Yes," I agree because it seems true and right. 

We spy an unusual yellow--unusual because it's the middle of winter in Pennsylvania--and stop immediately.


Witch Hazel?  I'm not sure.  The bud unfolds in circus ribbons of yellow and red.

Witch Hazel Unfolding

A bow on a package or the tight curls of tissue in flowers made by hand turns this winter day into a marvelous event.  The literary scholar in me remembers Bakhtin's carnivalesque:  the world turns upside down through humor and chaos to subvert the dominant power or atmosphere. 


I need this carnival of color today.  It subverts the winter mood I've suffered all weekend.  Who made these?  I wonder and smile.  It's so bright and festive that it's actually a little ridiculous. 





We search for a beautiful thing, and we find it.  We know it's beauty.  We stop and cannot be anywhere else.  In our thoughts we ask Who and How.  We find ourselves delighted, delivered.

__________________________
Did you see one beautiful thing today?  

2 comments:

Patricia W Hunter said...

LOVE that carnival of color, Heather. Beautiful photos. There's always beauty, isn't there? We just need to look. I did see one beautiful thing today. 

Elaine said...

Thank you for looking and sharing such happy flowers! Now I want one for my garden. While I've been looking at lovely little snowdrops, they seem very prim and proper in comparison to these twirly blossoms.