Saturday, February 25, 2012

What You Really Want


I’m vacuuming.  I’m in the worst mood as I think about the day ahead (laundry, dishes, cleaning), so I beg God to send me relief from all this work. 

Just then, the power goes out in our neighborhood.

I throw myself onto the bed.  “Oh, great!  I can’t even vacuum now because the power went out! What a horrible day!  God, please let the power come back on so I can work!” 

I imagine a great heavenly chuckle.  What do you really want? 

What do I really want?  I have no idea. 

What do I want, God?  What do I really want? 

The answer arrives:  I want to be able to give thanks in all circumstances: work, rest, convenience, inconvenience, light, or darkness.   Vacuuming or not.  Thank you for the electricity, and thank you for a power outage.  

______________________________
Did you have an opportunity to give thanks to "all circumstances" today? 

2 comments:

Pink Dryer Lint said...

This is a perfect post.  Amen.

Patricia said...

Now isn't that the truth!!!!! I can just see it now. Love you BIGGIE bunches, Heather...your flair always makes my day! Have a beautiful Sunday. XOX