Sunday, February 12, 2012

A First Aid Kit for the Brokenhearted

Two years ago, I wrote about my daughter's theory of bike riding.  As we took off the training wheels, she said, "Little hills mean little boo-boos and big hills mean big boo-boos."  My husband said that we should just find the little hills then, and my 5-year old said, "No, Dad, we just need bigger band aids."

She knew the adventure and the freedom was worth the pain.  

As I continue to find the brokenhearted in our region, I think about the big, dangerous hill that we travel down when we enter into our own pain and the pain of others.  We don't need to be afraid; we don't need to stay in silence. We don't need to stay safe on the little hill. 

We conquer the biggest hill of our suffering, and we'll need a bigger first aid kit.

In this first aid kit for the brokenhearted, I've learned so much about prayer, about truth, about the role of creativity in healing, about the beauty of devoted community, and about the power of God to heal.  I've learned the role of telling your story, of believing the victim, of walking side-by-side, of laughter, of crying, and of rejoicing that, as my friend mentioned this morning, we have "treasures from our trials."

I'll ride down this hill with you.  I've got a great first aid kit right here.

______________________
What would you add to a first aid kit for the brokenhearted?

1 comment:

Angie L said...

A pastor in my church brought up Isaiah 58:6-9, which has stuck with me. 
Isn't it interesting that as we care for others, that we may find that God may heal us? In my toolkit for the heartbroken, I think I might pray about the right opportunities to show how that person is still valuable and needed in the lives of others.

6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice    and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free    and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry    and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them,    and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? 8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,    and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness[a] will go before you,    and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. 9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;    you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. "