Monday, August 22, 2011

Why I Love My Mini-Muffin Pan

For the last week, I've studied the fine art of mini-muffin making.  I think I'm getting better in the kitchen! 

Every few days, we make another batch and fill snack bags with a few for lunchboxes.  Muffins freeze and defrost so well, and I reasoned that a homemade version would save us a fortune.  Instead of the grocery store's Little Bites, we made our own. I call them Little Nibblers!

I love the idea of packing a lunch box, opening my freezer, and finding shelves upon shelves of homemade goodies to tuck inside. 

It feels so cozy somehow.  It feels so nurturing.  

But it's an art form.  I had to think beyond blueberry. So far, we've made coconut (of course), strawberry, peach, and chocolate peanut butter.  Next we'll try pumpkin, raspberry, and blackberry.  Oh, the possibilities of my mini-muffin pan!

Living with flair means you make little homemade treats because it feels good, saves money, and makes lunch packing easy.  Maybe I'm making a memory for my daughters as they recall their mother covered in flour and berry stains as she gets ready for back-to-school lunches. 

____________________
Journal:  What else can I make homemade?




3 comments:

Patricia said...

This post reminds me of one of my favorite books, "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" by Edith Schaeffer.

I've enjoyed learning to make homemade yogurt this year. So easy...and so good for you, too.

Unknown said...

This so reminds me of my mom! We grew up with her at home: cooking, baking and cleaning as well as training any pets :). Her particular delight and skill was cake decorating. Though I had an uncle who was a baker, I didn't know you could buy a decorated cake till I moved out! Her cakes were works of art - she painted with icing.
Indeed, your daughters will remember the mini-muffins and the fun of making, eating them. YESH.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I like the idea of Little Nibblers. Do you think that even a mediocre chef like me could bake with flair? Maybe I could handle muffins. :)