Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Nectar Made for You

We stand by the neighbor's flowerbeds and watch butterflies dance and skip across the petunias. 

Black Swallowtail in the Petunias

I learn that this butterfly tastes the flowers with her feet to decide whether she wants to drink the nectar here.  The dance we observe is a taste-test (who knew?).  Next, she unfolds her proboscis (a straw!) to slurp up the nectar inside the flower. 

Black Swallowtail Tasting with Feet © Live with Flair
 Then she dives into the flower she wants and drinks. 

Black Swallowtail Drinking Nectar
I watch in amazement at the tasting dance.  She's discerning--picky and sensitive--about where she quenches her thirst.  I find myself remembering the dance and longing for the kind of sensitivity that would alert me to where and when I might dive in.

Our feet will take us many places during this new season, but I only want to dive deeply into places of real nectar.  If it doesn't suit me, I rise in the dance and skip on to new openings.  So many cups beg for our sipping.  I want the nectar made for me. 

_____________________
Journal:  What will I say "no" to this new upcoming season?

No comments: