Saturday, July 9, 2011

Air Yourself Out

I experienced a profound revelation this week:  towels don't ever dry well in the cramped bathroom on their towel bars.  They end up emitting that glorious musty-mildewy perfume within just a few days. 

I decide to reject--once and for all--the towel bar in the bathroom. 

Instead, I let all the towels dry by spreading them out on a drying rack.  I position this rack right in front of the window so lots of sunshine and fresh air could dry my towels.  Watching these towels this morning, I consider what it means to stay fresh in my own life.  Am I hung up on a towel bar of criticism, bitterness, regret, or cynicism? 

Probably. 

I have to let things air out.  I need to put myself in new, expansive, open environments to keep fresh.  There's something horrible about staying in the cramped, folded-up position that breeds the must and mildew.  Living with flair means not letting mildew grow in my own heart. 

_______________
Journal:  Where does life feel cramped and musty? 

2 comments:

Sue Tell said...

I wonder if that is why I love meeting with God outside. Hmmmm?

Jocelyn said...

OK, I know this post has much deeper meaning, but seriously, what is with these bathrooms? Our bath mat never gets completely dry unless we exile it to the balcony.