Friday, April 29, 2011

Why Searching Should Be Part of This Day

Baby Squirrels
Do you know how hard it is to take a photograph of a baby squirrel?

Hard.  Very hard.  Baby squirrels are fast.

This week, we discover a nest of baby squirrels high up in the front yard tree.  I find myself looking out the window constantly just to catch a single glimpse of them.  They venture from the nest and explore the limbs, but when I approach the tree with a camera, they scurry back into their nest.

Can you just stay still for a second, Little Squirrel?

Baby Squirrel
I decide to bring a telescope to the side yard to spy on them from afar.  Yes, a telescope.  I realize the neighbors think I am crazy.  I wave my arms and point up to the tree.  "Baby squirrels!" I shout.     

Searching with the greatest intent and the greatest care, I finally see them.

All morning, I think about the search to see an unusual and wonderful sight in nature.   To search means to look thoroughly with the intent of finding.  That's how I study this nest in a tree, and that's how I want to approach this day.  That's the way I want to investigate my lingering questions, read scripture, and converse with someone else.  I'm searching--looking thoroughly--for that wonderful and unusual thing in store today. 

If I turn my eyes away, I might miss it.  

Living with flair means I'm a thorough searcher. 

_____________________
Journal:  What activities today deserve my looking thoroughly

3 comments:

David Rupert said...

There is WONDER all around us. Not just in nature, but in people. In the simplest thigns that we pass every day. We need to look for it

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, Heather! I have it bookmarked under "Good", positive places on the internet. Regarding thoroughly searching, this is morel mushroom season in the Midwest and one of my favorite ways to enjoy nature is to slowly forage in the woods for morels while enjoying the wildflowers and bird songs.

Anonymous said...

Yes, & sometimes searching can be as simple as stopping & connecting with what is already right there. Kind of reminds me of my 'search' for God.