Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gone in One Day

The weeping cherry has bloomed! The children hide underneath and make a fort.  We'll only have these blooms for ONE DAY.   The thunder storm will come, and by morning, the tree will be bare. 

My Weeping Cherry

But not yet.  The roar of a hundred buzzing bees greets you at my front door.  We stand there, risking the stings, just to hear it and gaze upon the blooms.


A neighbor comes to the door, says nothing, and merely points to the blossoms and puts his hand over his heart and closes his eyes.


You don't need words.

Later, the storm does indeed strip the leaves.  We will have to wait one whole year to see them again. 

Stripped in the Storm

It was glorious for that one day, and now, I turn my attention to other blooms.  There's a wild violet at my feet.  I see it differently--treasure it, cherish it--because my weeping cherry taught me it might be gone tomorrow. 

Wild Violets
_________________
Journal:  What would I treasure more if I knew it'd be gone tomorrow?

4 comments:

Elaine said...

There is so much truth in this. I find myself rushing my children's development, so that they'll make better (less childish) decisions. Instead of just relish the fact that where they are right now is the best place for them (and me) to be!

Anonymous said...

Quite a lesson to be learned here.

Unknown said...

We never know how long we have - yes, one day with that lovely, lovely blossomed cherry tree. One year with my rescued, for adoption, beautiful senior Husky mix who went to heaven last week. I love the wild violets - they cover my yard. I find myself putting off mowing, all the more to enjoy them. Flair on!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! Such a powerful reminder to live each day as precious & each interaction with people as something eternal.