Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stepping in Cat Vomit

I woke up this morning and landed in cat vomit.  Apparently, I overfed my cat.

This is no way to start year two of Live with Flair.

Then I remember my friend in Japan whose father sent word that we might send canned food items for him to distribute to the disaster areas.  I remember that in some places in the world at this very moment, a mother would give anything to rise from a warm bed, place her feet on the ground, and greet the day with two healthy little girls who can't stop laughing at their mother's foot covered in cat vomit.

In some places in the world (in most places), nobody talks about the luxury of overfed cats.  But here, even the animals gorge themselves.

There's too much here.  There's not enough there. 

Stepping in cat vomit was a great reminder today as I think about ways to send relief to the hungry.

Stepping in cat vomit sounded the alarm about ways to be thankful for the fact that I even have too much cat food. 

Living with flair means I cultivate a grateful and generous heart.  I have too much. 




______________________________
Journal:  When I'm tempted to complain about all the inconveniences and all the misfortunes of my day, what do I need to remember to cultivate a grateful and generous heart?  For me, it's cat vomit.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, only you could find something positive in this situation!!! I do enjoy reading you each day. Thank you for sharing.

Georgia Marsh

Anonymous said...

I've totally done this before. Decided right then and there that if it ever came down to starvation or eating the cat, I would definitely eat the cat. Have a rad day! --T

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a fantastic year of blogging. I'm sure the best is yet to come.
Gigi M.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your first year of blogging every day. You have helped open my eyes to gratitude no matter what is happening - to think of flair. How you segued from cat vomit to feeding the world was masterful - and a very good reminder of how much we really have...Thanks again. Bobbie and the well fed dog sanctuary pack.

Anonymous said...

I have a fairly overfed puppy, and you're right, only in American do the animals even have too much. This was a great reminder for me today, too.

Unknown said...

So thoughtful and thought provoking! You truly do have flair! I love your blog, it is one of my favorites and is quite unique. I am glad you do what you do.

jenny_o said...

A good reminder of how lucky we are and how small our problems can be relative to others'.

A word of caution - vomiting in cats, if more than the occasional time, is best checked by a vet. (Speaking from sad experience)

Unknown said...

It certainly puts things in perspective - even our pets live have better quality of life than so many people. And some too, treat their animals better than they do the people in their lives - more loving, more thoughful, more respectful, more forgiving, more understanding, more sensitivity to their needs...