Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sneaking Up on Jack, I Caught Him Doing This:

Jack Basks in the Sun
He was basking

My One-Eyed Cat, Jack, continues to teach me how to live with flair.  First he learned how to purr and taught me something about finding yourself again, even when you've been wounded.  Then, he let out his first meow, and I learned something about rediscovering my voice.  Then, despite those wounds, he began caring for other cats, and that showed me the power of serving others. 

Then he started becoming fully alive, doing all the things that normal kitties do.  Next, he learned courage, standing up for himself and proclaiming what he loved and needed. 

But then his scar started leaking, and it felt like were were starting over.  But Jack got better, and today, I find him basking in the sun.

That cat won't leave the warm spot in the window.  He gazes up in the bright sunlight and lets himself become toasty warm.  As I watch Jack basking, I suddenly want to join him on the window ledge.  To bask means to receive great pleasure from something.




Did I bask today?    I want to bask in the love of God.  Did God design us to derive great pleasure from knowing Him and enjoying creation?  Oh, the great pleasure of sleeping in a sun ray, eating fresh pineapple, teaching a boy to jump rope, finding a perfect verb, or listening to a cat purr.  What things exist in my life today that God places there from which I am to derive great pleasure




Jack wants to know as well.


______________________________
Journal:  What things did I derive great pleasure from today? 

9 comments:

Patricia said...

"finding a perfect verb" =)

A kindred writer's pleasure!

I'm so happy "Live with Flair" is now in year two, Heather. You continually speak to my heart.

Joann said...

You're right...I do love this one! ;-)

dianne said...

so sweet. i love your "jack" stories, and i can relate to learning about life from my dog. and ooh, i ate fresh pineapple today!

ChadandRachel said...

I miss Jack! And the others. You're right, he has a precious story of recovery, and it's good to be reminded of and inspired by it! It also reminds me of the little kids song verse:
"'Bask!' Said the Father.
'We bask!' said the eight.
So they basked in the sun on the old mossy gate.'"

Dianna said...

I love Jack....and the lessons he teaches.

Unknown said...

Isn't amazing that the things that help us live with more flair, are usually about doing less - ceasing striving, effort, struggle - & more about stopping, noticing, waiting, enjoying & yes, basking.

Unknown said...

Utterly loved this post. Thank you and thank you, Jack.

jenny_o said...

*contented sigh*

Love your Jack posts.

Kar said...

Jack the cat rocks. ( my youngest son's name is Jack...so am biased I suppose) I have loved the posts about him. We have a kitty that loves to lay in the sun as well. Our family room window faces east and is bathed in sunlight until about 1pm everyday...and the large square of sunshine on the floor is his favorite place to be right now. He even moves as it moves across the room so he is always in the light.