Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Exploding Green Waffles and Why I'm Making Memories

I'm not crafty, imaginative, or even energetic when it comes to holidays.  I wish I were a mom who decorated better, thought of more exciting traditions, and planned memorable and delicious meals.

I'm not that kind of mom.

But when it comes to children, even the tiniest (and I mean tiniest) efforts don't go unnoticed.  I learned that from my Halloween Boo Platter that became public school legend.

I stir the waffle mix and let my daughter add a few drops of green food coloring for St. Patrick's day.  She can't stop giggling.  I'm starting to worry, however, that this isn't going to work.  



We pour way too much into the waffle maker. (See?  I can't even get this right!) The children scream and run around the kitchen to alert me to the explosion.  



Then I realize something:  I guarantee that this time next year, my daughters will remember the exploding waffle maker that oozed green slime.  Can it be that my mistakes make this a beautiful memory?  

Eventually, the waffles are ready.  But I've made green waffles that don't really look that green.  Plus, they exploded out of the machine.  



We are celebrating St. Patrick's day with almost green waffles.




It doesn't matter that they aren't even that green.

It doesn't matter that they aren't even that well-shaped.

What my daughters really care about--what really makes this memory--is the exploding waffle maker.

And that was the easy part.  I didn't even have to try for that one.   



________________________
Journal:  What tiny embellishments (or failures!) can make a lasting memory? 
  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is the "doing" ...not the results that make memories. I remember my parents hauling out the boxes of Christmas decorations and the anticipation of the upcoming season. I don't remember the beautiful, perfectly decorated house..the mess and excitment is the fun part for kids...Its the love and caring that went into it all....

Dianna said...

I love this post! You're right that your children will remember your experience today. That's what counts!

jenny_o said...

The next time you are talking about weddings with your married friends, ask them what they remember most about their own wedding. Chances are it will be something that went wrong, not all the things that went perfectly. I started noticing this after our wedding, where we had a glitch that I'm not going to go into here :) Everyone else had a funny story about the one thing that went badly on their big day too.

Well done on making this memory for your girls! Yes, they WILL remember it!

Unknown said...

To me your words speak about the importance & impact of being truly authentic - being willing to make mistakes & admits them & not trying to be super-human. Being vulnerable is so attractive. Being perfect isn't.

Charity said...

You say you're not creative, but what a great idea to add the food coloring to the waffles!! How fun!!