Monday, March 7, 2011

A Change of Plans

Snow Storm Coming
I had already run around in short sleeves.

I had already let my daughter frolic outside in flip-flops with butterflies on them.

I had already pulled out the spring clothes and encouraged my children to splash in puddles of warm melted snow. 

The weather report said a huge snow storm was coming, but I refused to believe it.   They said 7 inches.  They said even the University would shut down for the morning. 
Snow on the Winterberry

I look out the kitchen window, and it's here, right on my winterberry bush.  We have no choice but to stay inside.
 

The girls build elaborate block castles--not out of boredom, but of opportunity

It's not every day that you're snowed in.  I learn that the oldest has built a "Cloister Portal," and the little one has made her own "Observation Tower."


I take pictures of the structures.  I'm fascinated by the designs.  A Cloister Portal represents a beautiful concept.  A cloister refers to a place of seclusion, for spiritual purposes, and a portal refers to the grand entrance into this location. 

As I sit secluded indoors (not even making it to the skating rink), I remember this:  When nothing in my life looks like it's supposed to, and when my world doesn't follow the expected course, perhaps I'm to think of this time as my own God-given cloister portal, my own observation tower.  From up here, the seclusion teaches me how a beautiful winter storm (when it's nearly Spring) actually blesses.

It's a portal--my grand entrance--into the life God has for me.  

I snuggle into the rocking chair and realize it's not too bad to be snowed in.  There's beauty in this cozy room, too.  There's opportunity here. I look down, and I realize that Jack has stretched a paw out in my direction as he sleeps by the heater.  I love that little paw. 

Jack's Paw While it Snows Outside
Living with flair means I walk through that cloister portal when God wants me to.  




___________________
Journal:  How can I learn to see opportunity instead of delay or disaster? 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

On the journal of seeing opportunity, I once commented to my sister in VA that as I waited in a long, long line on the interstate, I looked over, saw and enjoyed the wildflowers in the median. She said she never would have done that - but it was years ago and I'm sure she does now.
I LOVE the Cloister Portal concept. How did she come up with that?
Because of your consistent excellent blog, I get to pass on the Stylish Blogger Award to you - and thank you for shining light on my life everyday.

Dianna said...

Wonderful post. And I love the photo of Jack's paw!

jenny_o said...

I used to love snow days when my kids would get to stay home. No morning rush to get ready, no lunch rush - we could linger and talk, no homework!, and after-school activities were always cancelled too. I wish I could have a few of those days back again.

Love Jack's toes! Have you ever seen the teddy bear in a cat's paw? Look at it upside down, so that the large pad is at the top of your line of vision, and the four little toes are at the bottom. Now imagine a little bear's face drawn on the large pad. The little toes are the arms and legs. Instant teddy bear!

Anonymous said...

We got your State College snowstorm on Saturday in Michigan. I too was feeling a bit frustrated with being forced to stay inside and change my plans. Sunday morning we awoke to the most beautiful sunny snow-scape outside. Due to the sheer force of the wind driven heavy snowfall all of the trees had white stripes from top to bottom. It was so beautiful. Evidence of our awesome creative God was everywhere. My walking friend even commented that the pristine new snow was even whiter than normal. It was a good reminder once again that we do not always get to chose when and which storms come our way in life, but we can chose our perspective in responding to them.