Friday, December 31, 2010

My New Year's Resolution: Be Soap

Before we leave to drive home from our holiday travels, we fear enduring the horrific smell in our minivan.  On the trip down, both girls get carsick all over the seats, the floor--everything in sight.  Have you ever been in a situation that was so unpleasant that it becomes comical?  Picture us pulling off of the highway, both girls vomiting, a snowstorm upon us, and no way to get the car clean.  And we still have 6 hours of driving left. 

Ha ha ha. 

It's hard to live with flair sometimes. 

Once at our destination, we try everything to remove the smell, including all sorts of sprays and deodorizers.  Nothing helps.  Then, Grandpa tells us his tried and true way of removing any car odor.   You simply take a bar of soap and put it under the seats.

As we pack up the car to drive home, I'm doubtful as I put that little bar of Irish Spring under the seat. I'm plugging my nose and hating everything about holiday traveling. 

An hour later, we pile in, and we cannot smell the carsick odor.  I keep smelling the air, skeptical.
 
It's completely gone.  The carsick smell is gone!   All day long, I'm thinking about a little bar of soap with the power to change a whole environment.  I can't figure it out, but I know it's working.  The soap somehow absorbs and neutralizes the offending smell.

Meanwhile, I have 10 hours of travel to consider my New Year's Resolution.  And then it occurs to me that I want to influence my environment like that little bar of soap.  Can I somehow absorb and neutralize every terrible, offensive, negative thing--neutralize it--and in turn refresh whatever situation I'm in?

In 2011, I want to absorb and neutralize.  I want to counterbalance every attack with the good, the true, and the beautiful.  And I can because of God within me.  Might God use us all to change every toxic environment into a sweet smelling paradise?   Even a small intervention--as small as soap tucked under a seat--can change everything.  

8 comments:

Jeedoo said...

A great lesson, a great resolution, esp if done in the power of the Spirit.

Happiness Here said...

I'll never look at a bar of soap the same way again. =)

E.M.B. said...

It really can.

I get carsick sometimes too.

Unknown said...

I keep a dog smell deodorant under my seat but I will switch to Irish Spring - cheaper and just as effective. Love the resolution. Am trying something similar at work - will see how it goes.

jenny_o said...

Ohhhh . . . you have my sympathy!!! And my admiration for taking that situation and finding flair in it!!!

And your resolution is excellent. I try for this, but too often when things aren't going well I'll find myself complaining and nitpicking, and adding to the world's problems. I had better try harder.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Laurie said...

Love it. My parents had to sell a family car a long time ago after my older brother threw up in it...

Anonymous said...

That older generation is/was SOOOO wise. Glad you had a more pleasant ride home!

www.thesedaysofmine.com

Anonymous said...

Love such spiritual insights the Father gives in the midst of the craziness of life - nuetralize and refresh. Thanks you for sharing this resolution:) Blessings!