Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas and the Ancient Path

I stay home from church today and cough my way through the morning.  But I want to create my own Sabbath worship--to start the week fresh in peace--especially with so much to do to prepare for Christmas. 

I light candles and gather my Bible and a curious old journal that my students presented me on the last day of class. 

It's an ancient journal, fresh out of Camelot or Narnia or Hogwarts.  The grainy pages connect with wisps of leather; the secrets within stay secure with a clasp.

I will record wise things here.  I will document revelations and promises--the whispers of God into my heart.  I will take His Hand and follow ancient paths that lead me to truth. 

As I unclasp my journal, I'm reminded of the words of that moody and artsy prophet Jeremiah.  He tells me:

This is what the LORD says:
   “Stand at the crossroads and look;
   ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
   and you will find rest for your souls." 

I open my journal and ask for the ancient paths.  And then I know.  I recall his name:  The Ancient of Days, God, the one who comes from the ancient into the modern, the one who descends down into a manger. 

That's Christmas--the ancient path that leads from Bethlehem into my heart. 

3 comments:

E.M.B. said...

Uh Oh!
Are you sick?

KGood said...

Hi Heather -

I like this idea. Look for the ancient path - those well-worn ideas that your grandmother would agree with ("do unto others..." "let he who is without sin cast the first stone..." ) These teachings reside in our hearts somewhere already, but it is wise I think to devote some time to them and how we might incorporate them into our lives. Keeping those in mind, I think means living with purpose - maybe even flair.

Anonymous said...

So glad you like the journal! Merry Christmas!