Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Message From God in my Vacuum

Yesterday, I vacuumed my entire house. 

We recently had the carpets cleaned, and the kind cleaner suggested we needed a new vacuum.  He said to get a "multi-cyclonic" system with a canister I empty out--not the bag kind. 

I like my old vacuum.  It's been with me all these years.  To me, the carpets look great: clean and soft with little lines from where the vacuum travels.  We don't need a new one. 

But late in the afternoon, my husband suggests we purchase the "multi-cyclonic" vacuum (it was on sale!) to help keep our carpets clean.  With his fall allergies, our three cats, and our Grand Central Station lifestyle of game nights, parties, and meetings in our home, I agree to see what the big deal with multi-cyclonic vacuuming was. 

So I test it.  I re-vacuum the entire house. 

Apparently, multi-cyclonic means "miracle" in Greek.  From the view of this different mechanism, the carpets I think are clean are actually filthy.  The new vacuum removes so much unseen debris from my carpets that I literally sit on the floor and admire it in the canister. 

I even call two friends to tell them about this vacuum. 

Today in church, I think about that different mechanism that could remove what the old one couldn't.  I ask God to come in multi-cyclonic form into the depths of my being to lift the stain and invisible dirt that I can't see.  God removes it thoroughly, and for me, that's the beauty of the gospel. 

The unseen violations--pride, criticism, judgment, favoritism, self-focus--sink deep in my fibers.  Let me not just be clean on the surface.  Let me be multi-cyclonic clean. 

2 comments:

Julie Bond Genovese said...

You knocked my socks off AGAIN! I think it was Thomas Moore who said "Let nothing be lost on me" -- you have that one down pat! The way you tie the mundane to the magical is fabulous. Thank you!

Brian Vinson said...

Good words. We tore up the carpets in our house (after finding carpet beetles) and found that underneath the carpets was absolutely filthy. Horribly so. And I think we're pretty much like that. We cover the filth with all kinds of good behavior, but without true life change, that's what's still there.