Thursday, July 15, 2010

What $5.00 Bought Me This Morning

My 10 year old neighbor has started a garden and pet care business.  His flyer says he's "responsible, caring, and dependable. . . since 1999."  This morning, I hired him.  He said he could groom my cats, empty litter boxes, and play with the cats for exercise.  He said he would charge me $2.50 for his work.

I've used this service before.  At the beginning of the summer, he came to my house as a garden consultant and advised me about the placement of my beds and compost. 

This morning, I paid him $5.00 because not only did he care for all the pets, but he decided he needed to vacuum the basement.  And then, he wanted to help me make cranberry bread.  He needed to wash his hands first, he told me, because every proper chef washes hands before he handles food.

He's still here, occasionally checking his bread in the oven.

I told him he should run for President.

He said he probably will.

I told him I was going to blog about him today, and he wasn't interested.  He's not into fame or recognition.  Right now, he's into dragging the yellow rope around the house to exercise my cats.   He wants to make sure he fully earns his pay.

I hope he never loses whatever it is he has right now.  It's the kind of flair I want all the neighborhood kids to have.  When I asked him why he's starting a business, he said he has stuff he can do, and he can earn money and not be bored.  He's not watching TV or lounging around this summer, and he's not exhausting his parents' resources by begging for trips to Disney World or expensive summer camps.  No, he's going to run a business to help neighbors with their gardens and pets.   I just love that.

6 comments:

Caroline Alexander said...

Tell him that one of your readers thinks he's awesome!

JoAnn Foley-DeFiore said...

who is this mysterious boy? he sounds amazing!!! ;-)

auntie said...

Fantastic!

Mrs. T. said...

Sounds great to me. What a diligent child. Must have a good mom. :)

Sarah@LowStressWeightLoss said...

what a cool kid (and a neighbor who activates him!)

Anonymous said...

an interview his mom would be very interesting. That's so incredible!